Voyage in Christ:From Greedy Carelessness to Compassionate Generosity-IJohn 3:11-14-April 22, 2018
Reflection Questions for Individual or Group Study:
1. What about the message really spoke to you that you want to keep on thinking about during this week?
2. Read 1 John 3:11-15 and describe Cain’s heartset. How does hate lead to murder? Why can there be no room in the Christian’s heart for hate?
3. Read 1 John 3:16 and describe Jesus’ heartset. How does love lead to compassion and generosity? Why is this the center of the Christian faith?
4. Who do you know that regularly practices compassionate generosity? Describe what it is about that person that shows generosity.
5. Which of these potential obstacles weaken your compassion for someone?
· Being interrupted (as Jesus often was)
· Being confronted by someone who terrifies or disgusts you
· Trying to help someone with extreme disfigurement or insurmountable grief
· Too many needs and too few resources
6. How are you feeling led to change in the way you show compassionate generosity? Find a way to do that this week.
7. How do you feel led to pray?
Voyager Prayer Challenge
April 22-28, 2018
As we enter this new season at Stillmeadow, we invite you to join the Voyager Prayer Crew through individual reading and prayer times. Setting aside time to pray and read through scripture as a community is a powerful way of experiencing God’s unity.
· Choose a time & place to be quiet for 10-15 minutes.
· Start by listing three things for which you are thankful.
· Invite Christ to speak to you through the reading.
· As you read the scripture passage ask these three questions:
1. What does John say about love in this chapter?
2. What is the role of the Christian in this chapter?
3. Who is God calling you to show love to?
· Finish in prayer for yourself, your family, your neighbors, your co-workers, your church.
Monday: 1 John 1:1-2:2
Tuesday: 1 John 2:3-26
Wednesday: 1 John 2:27-3:24
Thursday: 1 John 4:1-21
Friday: 1 John 5:1-21