Behold! Lenten Series Part 5: the Gears, Dragon and Rooster
John 12:1-8, Philippians 3:4b-16,
Theme: The incredible “new thing” that God is doing invites us to not hold on to our past and our possessions and instead to follow Mary and Jesus’ examples of giving sacrificially.
1. How did God speak to you in the message?
2. Read John 12:1-8. What do you notice about Jesus? What are you seeing in Mary?
3. What is Judas‘s attitude? How are selfishness and greed alike or different?
4. If there was an imaginary generosity spectrum with Judas on the selfish end and Mary on the generous end, what advice would you give to someone who wants to move to Mary’s?
5. Read Philippians 3:4b-16. Summarize Paul’s words in one sentence.
6. How can Paul’s reflection help a person grow in generosity in Christ?
7. Reflect on your own life. How is God calling you to change based of these passages? What is one thing you can start or stop this week in that process?
8. How can we pray?
Behold! 2019 Lenten Study Challenge
There are two texts per day. One possible way to “behold!” God’s work is to set aside two times per day, using one scripture for the morning and the other for the evening.
First, be silent in prayer for 1 minute.
Second, thank God for 2 specific things.
Third, invite Jesus to speak to you by asking these 3 questions.
1. What can we learn from these verses about radical
2. Who is He inviting me to share this with?
3. How can I be radically generous with the spiritual gifts I possess?
Finish in prayer for yourself, your family, your neighbors, your co-workers, your church.
Monday: 2 Corinthians 9:6-12, Matthew 6:1-4
Tuesday: Luke 6:30-36, I Corinthians 13:3-7
Wednesday: Luke 21:1-4, Psalm 41:1-3
Thursday: Proverbs 11:24-25, Luke 6:37-38 (generous spirit)
Friday:1 John 3:16-18, Acts 4:32-37
Father, help me to help others no matter what, even if it makes me uncomfortable. May I see with eyes that look beyond circumstances and show those in need what it truly means to give. My time, my spiritual gifts, my monetary gifts are all yours.