Voyage in Christ: From Darkness to Light IJohn 1:1-2:2-April 8, 2018
Reflection Questions for Individual or Group Study:
1. What about the message really spoke to you that you want to keep on thinking about during this week?
2. John uses light and dark imagery a lot in his letter. Take a moment to list how God is like light and how living like Jesus is like light. Now, come up with various ways that living outside of God is like living in the dark.
3. Are you living more in the dark or more in the light?
4. Which of the four “misdirected ways of thinking” do you struggle with the most?
4 Misguided Ways of Thinking
1. I’m a Christian but it’s okay to keep sinning. (1 John 1:6)
2. I’m above and beyond sin. (1 John 1:8)
3. I’m not a sinner. (1 John 1:10)
4. I can love who I want (i.e. I can hate my brother). (1 John 2:9-11)
5. Why is confession so difficult? Read 1 John 1:9. Why is confession essential for Christian faith?
6. Read 1 John 2:1-2. What does John hope for the people reading his letter? How does Jesus help Christians accomplish that hope?
7. What sin do you need to confess today?
8. How do you feel led to pray?
Voyager Prayer Challenge
As we enter this new season at Stillmeadow, we invite you to join the Voyager Prayer Crew through individual reading and prayer times. Setting aside time to pray and read through scripture as a community is a powerful way of experiencing God’s unity.
· Choose a time & place to be quiet for 10-15 minutes.
· Start by listing three things for which you are thankful.
· Invite Christ to speak to you through the reading.
· As you read the scripture passage ask these three questions:
1. How does John describe and define God? (Look for descriptions of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit)
2. What inspires you about God’s character as explained by John?
3. What sin do you need to confess today?
· Finish in prayer for yourself, your family, your neighbors, your co-workers, your church.
Monday: 1 John 1:1-2:2
Tuesday: 1 John 2:3-26
Wednesday: 1 John 2:27-3:24
Thursday: 1 John 4:1-21
Friday: 1 John 5:1-21