Unity Under Christ-Part 6-Power of Song
Small Group Leader Notes:
Main Passage: Ephesians 5:14-21
Main Point: In God’s dream for a world unified under Christ the church is called to be a people awake and alive to the new reality in Christ. To sing together is an essential, unifying expression of that new reality.
Reflection Questions for Individual or Group Study:
1. What is your response to the theme of this message?
2. Name a song or two that has helped you in your Christian walk. What is it about that song that has helped you?
3. In the message, Pastor Josh gave 5 reasons why Christians sing. Can you name them (to be centered on Christ, to be consoled by Christ, to be corrected by Christ, to be committed to Christ and to be unified in Christ)?
4. Read Ephesians 5:14-21 together. The baptism song of verse 14 declares that as Christians we are awake and alive in Christ. In what ways are we now awake and alive? How were we asleep and dead outside of Christ?
5. How does singing together help us to grow and be unified in Christ?
6. How does singing Christian songs together in worship help us live for Christ during the week?
7. How do you feel led to pray based off these reflections?
Unity Under Christ Study Challenge
· Choose a time & place to be quiet for 10-15 minutes.
· Start by listing three things for which you are thankful.
· Invite Christ to speak to you through the reading.
As you read the scripture passage ask these three questions:
1. What do I learn about the character of God here?
2. What’s the good news that is presented?
3 How can I pray based off this passage?
Finish in prayer for yourself, your family, your neighbors, your co-workers, your church.
Monday: Ephesians 5:15-21
Tuesday: Ephesians 5:21-33
Wednesday: Colossians 3:12-17
Thursday: Colossians 3:18-4:1
Friday: Philippians 2:12-30