Illuminate: Advent 2018 Part 1: Hope
Luke 21:25-36, Jeremiah 33:14-16
Reflection Questions for Individual or Group Study:
1. What stands out to you from the overall theme of the message and texts?
2. Reflect on Luke 21:25-36: why do you think Jesus told his disciples to watch and hope for the return of the Son of Man?
3. What commands did Jesus give in that passage?
4. Read Jeremiah 33:14-16. What is broken in our world that needs to be restored? What is not right that needs to be made right?
5. What is the difference between positive thinking and Christian hope?
6. Why is it important to develop a character of patient hope as a follower of Christ?
7. In this season of advent, we are invited to develop patient hope. What is one or two habits you want to practice this season to help you remember the importance of waiting on Christ?
8. How can we pray?
Advent Reading Challenge:
· Choose a time and place to be quiet for 15 minutes.
· Practice the discipline or waiting on Christ. Set a timer for 5 minutes and sit in silence, imagining Jesus with you.
Invite Christ to speak to you through the reading of the scripture.
As you read the scripture passage ask these two questions:
1. What does this passage have to say about God and humanity?
2. How does this invite me to pray?
Finish in prayer for yourself, your family, your neighbors, your co-workers, your church.
Dec 2-8: Hope
Sunday: Isaiah 11:1-2, 10; Luke 1:26-38, Matt 1:18-25
Monday: Mark 1:1-8
Tuesday: Psalm 131
Wednesday: Zephaniah 3:14-17
Thursday: Isaiah 40:1-5
Friday: Isaiah 40:6-11