illuminate: Advent 2018 Part 2: Love
Luke 3:1-6 (7-18), Luke 1:76-79
Reflection Questions for Individual or Group Study:
1. What stands out to you from the overall theme of the message and texts?
2. With Luke 1:76-79 and Luke 3:3-6 in mind, what was John’s purpose in connection to Jesus?
3. Summarize John’s instructions in Luke 3:10-14. How would following those instructions prepare the way for people to experience God’s love?
4. Define repentance (change of mind, turning from sin). Why is repentance to God essential for living right with others?
5. The message of salvation was and is for all humanity. (Luke 3:6) In what ways can Christians act or speak to show the beauty of this truth to others?
6. Have you repented (turned away) from your sin and received forgiveness from God or are you holding back from totally committing to Him? If you would like to, please reach out to your small group leader or call one of our pastors at 717-764-4888.
7. What in your life needs to change in order to live like John and prepare the way for others to experience God’s love?
8. How can you pray?
Advent Reading Challenge:
· Choose a time and place to be quiet for 15 minutes.
· Practice the discipline of waiting on Christ. Set a timer for 5 minutes and sit in silence, imagining Jesus with you.
Invite Christ to speak to you through the reading of the scripture.
As you read the scripture passage ask these two questions:
1. What does this passage have to say about God and humanity?
2. How does this invite me to pray?
Finish in prayer for yourself, your family, your neighbors, your co-workers, your church.
Dec 9-15: Love
Sunday: Genesis 1:1-5, 26-27, Luke 2:1-5, John 3:16
Monday: Luke 1:18-20
Tuesday: Isaiah 40:27-31
Wednesday: Luke 1:5-20
Thursday: Luke 1:21-25
Friday: Romans 8:18-25