LOOK UP Part 3: Established in the Faith
Colossians 2:6-19, Luke 11:1-13,
Theme: To stay established in the faith, believers are invited to resist godless ways of thinking and acting by remembering when they first received Christ as Lord and by abounding in thankfulness.
1. Start with thankfulness! What do you have to be thankful about that God has done for you?
2. Read Colossians 2:6-7. How did you come to believe in and receive Jesus in your life?
3. In Colossians 2:8 Paul warns against godless ways of thinking. Name some common “ways of thinking” that go against Christ. How do these work against faith?
4. According to 2:13-15, what has God done to our sins and trespasses?
5. In this passage baptism is described as our old self being “buried” with Jesus and a new self being “made alive” in Him. When facing temptation, how does this imagery help the baptized believer?
6. Read 2:20-23. Here we see a warning against worldly self-discipline rules. What does faith in Christ have to offer in overcoming “sensual indulgence” that rules do not?
7. In Luke 11:1-13, Jesus invites his disciples to trust the Father’s love through prayer. Finish your reflection time in prayer. First thank God for His work in your life. Second, ask Him to help you overcome your old self. Third, commit to stay established in the faith.
Look Up Study Challenge Week 3
There are two texts per day. One way to worship God intentionally is twice per day, with one verse in the morning and one in the evening.
First, be silent in prayer for 1 minute.
Second, thank God for 2 specific things.
Third, invite Jesus to speak to you by asking these 3 questions.
1 What am I learning from these passages about faith?
2. Who is He inviting me to share this with?
3. How is He speaking to me during these times of worship?
Finish in prayer for yourself, your family, your neighbors, your co-workers, your church.
Monday: Colossians 2:6-19 and Hebrews 5
Tuesday: 2 Peter 1:3-7 and Psalm 1 and 2
Wednesday: Micah 4:1-5 and Galatians 5:16-18
Thursday: Luke 21:25-28, 34-36 and 2 Thessalonians 2:13-17
Friday: Psalm 32 and Hebrews 6
Father, we have a hope that is unfailing. Help me bring this hope to a world desperately in need of it, and let my life shine with it. May I remember that light chases away darkness, joy bears fruit, and love wins every time.