FIRE IN MY BONES Part 4: The Lost Ones
Jeremiah 4:11-12, 22-28, Luke 15:1-10
Theme: In Jeremiah we see that the people of God were so lost they put themselves and their wants as the destination and ignored God’s warning signs. God invites us to repent and have him as our destination, with Jesus’ life as our map, and receiving direction from the Holy Spirit through scripture, worship, group discipleship, prayer and service.
1. What struck you about the message?
2. Share a time when you got lost and found your way again.
3. Read Jeremiah 4:11-12; 22-28. These are difficult words of judgment and God’s fierce anger. What do you notice about them?
4. Jeremiah 4:22 gives insight into God’s judgment. What attitudes and habits cause God’s anger? How is this a good description of being lost?
5. How do you see these attitudes and habits playing out in our present world?
6. Read the prideful Israelite response to God’s invitation to repent in Jeremiah 18:12. How is pride the cause of all sin, the root of “being lost”?
7. Read Luke 15:1-10. Why does Jesus want us to know that heaven rejoices over the repentance of one sinner? What does it tell us about God’s heart towards those who are lost?
8. Reflect on 1 Timothy 1:13-15. Why did Jesus come? How did Paul respond? How can you relate to Paul?
9. What sin do you need to unlearn as you follow the map of Jesus’ life? What is one action you can take this week to follow the Spirit as your guide?
Study Challenge Week 4
There are two texts per day. One way to worship God intentionally is twice per day, with one verse in the morning and one in the evening.
First, be silent in prayer for 1 minute.
Second, thank God for 2 specific things.
Third, invite Jesus to speak to you by asking these 3 questions.
1. What am I learning from these passages about faith?
2. Who is He inviting me to share this with?
3. How is He speaking to me during these times of worship?
Finish in prayer for yourself, your family, your neighbors, your co-workers, your church.
Monday: Jeremiah 4:11-12, 22-28 and Psalm 14
Tuesday: Luke 17:22-35 and Exodus 15:1-21
Wednesday: Psalm 51:1-10 and Daniel 3:8-18
Thursday: Exodus 32:7-14 and Luke 15:1-10
Friday: Philippians 1:19-30 and James 1:12-18
Jesus, you have called each of us to serve and obey. Give me strength every day to live in this calling, to be your hands and feet, to be faithful to that which has been given me.