Maturing In Christ (#adultingwithJesus) Part 2
Small Group Leader Notes:
Scripture: James 2:1-17
Summary: In the goal of maturing in faith in Christ, Christians can overcome the barrier of judgmentalism, by choosing the habit of serving others first.
1. What was most challenging for you about the text or message from today?
2. Read James 2:1-17 aloud.
3. Why is it easier to show favor or do good to those we think we can get something from?
4. What are some ways that people develop biases and discrimination against other groups of people? How does being judgmental or biased against another group of people (2:1-7) show immaturity (or a dead faith, 2:17)?
5. What steps does James give to overcome the heart of judgmentalism? (see 2:1-4, 2:8, 2:12-13, 14-16)
6. What groups or types of people do you struggle with loving? What are you going to change this week in order to follow the royal law of love towards those neighbors of yours (2:8)?
7. How do you feel led to pray?
Maturing in Christ
· Choose a time and place to be quiet for 15 minutes.
· Start by listing three things for which you are thankful.
· Invite Christ to speak to you through the reading of the scripture.
As you read the scripture passage, ask these three questions:
1. What action am I being invited to stop in this passage?
2. What action am I being called to start in this passage?
3. How can I pray based off this passage?
Finish in prayer for yourself, your family, your neighbors, your co-workers, your church.
Week 2 (Sept 9)
Monday: James 2:1-13
Tuesday: James 2:14-26
Wednesday: 1 Corinthians 1:26-31
Thursday: Mark 10:17-31
Friday: Mark 10:32-45