Maturing in Christ (#adultingwithJesus) Part 3-Words
Small Group Leader Notes:
Scripture: James 3:1-12
Summary: In the pursuit of Christian maturity, the Christian must put behind them the baby babble of uncontrolled speech and be self-controlled in blessing God and others with their words.
1. What stood out to you from the message today?
2. Read James 3:1-12. What illustration for the tongue most captivates your imagination?
3. Throughout his letter, James gives 5 different ways to waste your words. The first is cursing (3:9), the second is hurtful criticism (4:11), the third is grumbling (5:9), the fourth is boasting (3:5, 4:16), the fifth is swearing (5:12). Define each. What do each of them have in common with each other?
4. Which of these do you struggle with the most? How so?
5. In James 3:9, he reminds his readers that those they curse are made in God’s image. How can intentionally recognizing the divine dignity of each person affect our speech?
6. What is James’ advice on using speech in 1:19? How does that help with the five areas of wasted words?
7. What is God directing you to change in the way you use words this week? Ask God for strength to do that.
Maturing in Christ Study Challenge:
· Choose a time and place to be quiet for 15 minutes.
· Start by listing three things for which you are thankful.
· Invite Christ to speak to you through the reading of the scripture.
As you read the scripture passage, ask these three questions:
1. What action am I being invited to stop in this passage?
2. What action am I being called to start in this passage?
3. How can I pray based off this passage?
Finish in prayer for yourself, your family, your neighbors, your co-workers, your church.
Week 3 (Sept 16)
Monday: James 3:1-12
Tuesday: Matthew 5:21-26
Wednesday: Matthew 5:27-37
Thursday: Matthew 5:38-48
Friday: Colossians 3:12-17