Maturing in Christ (#adultingwithJesus) Part 4-Single-Minded Pursuit
Small Group Leader Notes:
Scripture: James 3:13-4:10
Summary: To become mature in Christ, the Christian must embrace the Christ-like characteristics of humility and grace and eliminate the unholy characteristics of pride and selfishness.
1. What stood out to you from the message today?
2. Describe a wise and understanding person. How does James describe it in 3:13?
3. How is that different than the person described in 3:14-16?
4. Read 3:16-18. Which characteristics would you rather have in a coworker or neighbor? Why?
5. What causes fights and quarrels among people? Describe a recent fight and analyze what fueled the fight?
6. Why would James use the term “Adulterous people” to describe Christians? In what ways do Christians “cheat” on God?
7. Read James 4:6. “God gives more grace.” How does this fundamentally change everything?
8. After reading 4:7-10, how do these instructions help move a person to perfection in Christ?
9. Looking back at 3:17-18, which trait do you want to grow in? Ask God to change your heart and strengthen your will to do just that.
10. How do you feel led to pray?
Maturing in Christ Study Challenge:
· Choose a time and place to be quiet for 15 minutes.
· Start by listing three things for which you are thankful.
· Invite Christ to speak to you through the reading of the scripture.
As you read the scripture passage, ask these three questions:
1. What action am I being invited to stop in this passage?
2. What action am I being called to start in this passage?
3. How can I pray based off this passage?
Finish in prayer for yourself, your family, your neighbors, your co-workers, your church.
Week 4 (Sept 23)
Monday: James 3:13-4:3
Tuesday: James 4:4-17
Wednesday: Matthew 6:1-18
Thursday: Matthew 6:19-24
Friday: Matthew 6:25-34